Are you the kind of person who thrives in an environment where innovative and creative thinking matters every day? Do you have a knack for creating high-quality communications programs that crisply convey customer value propositions, generate excitement, and create successful relationships with key influencers, media outlets, and news desks? Are you passionate about working for a company that truly believes that reaching professional goals should be affordable, accessible, convenient, and engaging for everyone?
Pocket Prep is growing its in-house marketing capabilities and we are actively looking for a rock star Communications Manager to join our growing marketing team. You will bring your proven creative, analytical and communications capabilities to imagine, plan, implement and optimize compelling PR campaigns that help us drive awareness and excitement around Pocket Prep and its individual offerings. This role will report directly into Pocket Prep’s Director of Marketing.
The right candidate will be an experienced, creative, strategic thinker with a track record of successfully running PR campaigns. You are a dynamic marketer who is comfortable thinking big and diving deep to launch campaigns and build relationships with influencers.
About Pocket Prep
Pocket Prep believes that test prep should be affordable, accessible, and engaging for everyone. That’s why we have led the mobile test prep category with our portable learning, smart feedback, and affordable programs since 2011. Our small, but growing, bi-coastal team is dedicated to providing the most effective, convenient and engaging test prep for more than 100 standardized exams.
We care about people passing exams because we’ve been there. Co-founders Ken Gillette and Peter Murphy faced expensive, high-stakes tests for career-promoting professional credentials while they were co-workers at Lockheed Martin. Like tens of thousands of other Americans, they shelled out hundreds of dollars to register and buy the materials they thought would improve their chances of passing. After hauling textbooks, flashcards, and study guides to costly test prep classes, they founded Pocket Prep to help people more effectively and inexpensively prepare for important assessments.
About the Role
Pocket Prep’s Communications Manager generates earned media to help us efficiently spread word-of-mouth as well as position Pocket Prep as a leader in the market. This person will:
- Own local, national, and support trade/ vertical media pitching.
- Manage a coordinated PR calendar.
- Develop relationships with key influencers and journalists.
- Seek out the best customer success stories to bring forward.
- Create content (blog, press releases, events, press kits).
- Maintain website with support of Marketing Associate.
- Prepare detailed media activity reports.
- Develop project recommendations for senior management team.
- Work in conjunction with Marketing Director to implement and optimize content strategy across all channels.
You bring the following to our team:
- A practitioner mindset that balances data and action and values collaboration.
- A dedication to lifelong learning in your discipline and in general.
- 3-5 years of experience in PR or Communications for another company or organization is mandatory.
- Experience in a PR agency or advertising agency a bonus.
- Previous experience successfully pitching to print, broadcast and digital media.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Familiarity with WordPress.
- Experience with remote work and multi-time-zone teams a bonus.
- Familiarity with common professional credentials (maybe you even have one?) and/or test prep also a bonus.
In addition to a competitive base salary, health insurance, and a generous leave policy, Pocket Prep offers profit sharing. We’re proud to have bootstrapped our way to profitability and are even more proud to share those profits with our employees.
Note: This role is to be based in Seattle, Washington, or remote for a candidate with experience working in a distributed team.
Pocket Prep is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.