Beginning February 1, 2023, The Association for Supply Chain Management (ASCM) is offering a reconfigured version of the CPIM, version 8.0.
Unlike the Version 7.0 two-part exam, the 8.0 version consists of only one exam. Version 7.0 will continue to be offered until February 1, 2024.
What if I’m already studying for version 7.0?
Don’t worry, you can still take and pass version 7.0. To earn your CPIM designation using version 7.0, you must pass two exams covering 14 modules of content. Each exam consists of 150 questions and you have 3.5 hours to complete each exam. The exam score range is 200 to 350, with scores 300 and above considered passing.
Candidates must pass Part 1 and Part 2 exams within three years to become certified.
To earn your CPIM designation using version 8.0, you must pass one exam covering 8 modules of content. The exam consists of 150 questions and you have 3.5 hours to complete the exam. The exam score range is 200 to 350, with scores 300 and above considered passing.
The 8 modules of CPIM 8.0:
- Supply Chains and Strategy
- Sales and Operations Planning
- Detailed Schedules
- Quality, Technology and Continuous Improvement
APICS recommends continuing to prepare for version 7.0 if you were already on that pathway. However, if you have not started preparing, we recommend that you study for version 8.0. Pocket Prep’s APICS CPIM study prep found in Professional Pocket Prep offers both versions 7.0 and 8.0. We’ll retire CPIM Part 1 and CPIM Part 2 next year on February 1, 2024.
We utilize the following textbooks in our prep content:
- Managing Supply Chain Operations
- Essentials of Supply Chain Management
- Manufacturing Planning and Control for Supply Chain Management: The CPIM Reference, Second Edition
- Strategic Supply Chain Management: The Five Core Disciplines for Top Performance, Second Edition
Timeline for 7.0 to 8.0 Changes:
- January 31, 2023: Last day to purchase CPIM 7.0 self-study bundles andCPIM 7.0 Part 1 learning systems and exam credits.
- April 30, 2023: Last day to purchase CPIM 7.0 Part 2 learning systems and exam credits.
- July 31, 2023: Last day to purchase CPIM 7.0 (Part 1 and Part 2) ATTs and CPIM Part 1 China ATTs; also the last day to redeem CPIM 7.0 exam credits.
- February 1, 2024: Last day to sit for CPIM 7.0 Part 1 or CPIM 7.0 Part 2 exams.
Who gets this certification?
CPIM is an internationally recognized certification in supply chain management. According to ASCM, this certification is especially useful for anyone who works in materials management, forecasting, production planning, master scheduling, and supply chain logistics.
Jobs that can benefit from this certification include:
- Procurement Manager
- Sourcing Specialist
- Director of Procurement
- Supply Chain Planner/Manager
- Inventory Manager
- Material Planner
- Warehouse Manager